We left SF area on Wednesday to meet up with Damian, a friend from Burning Man. After repeating "In-N-Out" for 4 hours, Rafer & Erik finally succumbed to curiosity and we ate at my favorite burger chain. We made jokes about the name after our digestion problems were revealed.
In my usual disorganized way, I managed to screw up meeting up with Damian, so we drove to Santa Monica and slept on the beach, which basically means lying awake shivering cold trying to sleep. Rafer used the toilets of some movie trailors nearby by pretending to be part of the cast/crew. We were well fed however because Erik and I found a Jewish/Russian deli and bought Kvas (a fermented beer-like beverage), Moskovaya sausage, provolone cheese, two different tasty eggplant spreads, and buns to eat all that with. It brought back fond memories of my last vacation to Russia.
Speaking of Russia, we are all now proficient Durak players, a Russian card game which I usually lose (although Erik is getting much better at losing and may take my title soon). As the Russian saying goes, "Bad luck in Durak means good luck in life". Durak means idiot in Russian.
We hung out with Damian, who was extra entertaining, and her roommate Joe, a really nice guy who promotes shows in LA (or at least West Hollywood?) and offered us free admission at some theatres and shows.
LA definitely reminded me of everything I hate about North American consumeristic/materialistic society. Despite that, Damian took us out to a bar that used to be the hangout of such celebrities as Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison (who pissed on the bar), among others. Now they have an air hockey table. She also introduced us to some really great bud from the compassion cafe called "Golden Champagne".
Among the douchebags of LA was the security guard at an internet cafe who kicked us out for playing Durak. Among the angels of LA was the internet cafe girl who convinced him we could stay and let me use her cellphone.
I decided I needed a haircut so that my massive shaggy hair wouldn't sweat me to death. Damian brought me to her hairdresser and then sabotaged me by paying for an eyebrow waxing! Rafer, with all the tact he could muster, suggested that I now look like Spock. Pictures will come, I promise.
Dan.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree about lalaland. Can't imagine you brow-less!
Actually, when one loses in Durack, the Russians say "Ne viziot v kartah, poveziot v lubvi", which means "Bad luck in cards, good luck in LOVE". But the way I see it, your translation also works because good luck in love makes for a good life.
Post a Comment